If you’ve been considering social media for a while but keep putting it off or indeed cannot see it’s value, you may like to read this latest blog.
Here at Little Big Voice Search Engine Marketing, we’ve always got our finger on the pulse and felt it would be useful for you to see why you should not ignore what is fast becoming a core element of your online presence.
To make Social Media more accessible and to perhaps allow any small business to understand its real value, we thought we would provide you with some statistics and numbers from the Social Media world that should help you see just why Social Media is so valuable now and in the future.
We’ve also included some fundamental strategy based directives, which will help you see how social media fits in to your SEO and Search Engine Marketing efforts and why it’s so important.
Despite many saying it would come and go, Social Media in terms of growth is still doing very well indeed and has seen absolutely no sign of stopping! Here’s a few numbers:
- The top three social networking applications currently are Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. In the past year alone have seen more than 2.5 billion visits in a month and all three have seen increases year on year since 2009.
- For one month last year in fact, Facebook actually received more visits than Google. This was of course an exception but should go to show just how relevant social media is in today’s society as the biggest social networking site tackled the world’s biggest search engine with success!
- The amount of blogs that have been indexed is now well over the 140 million mark and we’re now seeing over a million blog posts created every single day.
What is perhaps more interesting is that in terms of Search Engine Marketing, many businesses can still benefit greatly from having a blog as a medium to generate good fresh content for your website that the search engines love!
- You Tube consistently stands at between second and third place as being one of the most popular search engines in the world and Flickr (as predicted) is slowly making ground as it sees more than 3.8 billion user generated images.
- If you’ve seen our previous blog on bookmarking submissions, you may also be interested to know that Delicious has more than 5 million users and more than 150 million bookmarked URL’s that are unique.
Here’s the important bit…
We’re all after the best position on Google right? Matt Cutts the head of web spam at Google announced at the end of 2010 that Twitter and Facebook do currently play a part in their real time search results, and that in the future this is to become a much more important factor in the prominence of websites within the Google standard search results page.
So when looking at these facts, if you’ve got no social media presence at all, you are missing out on a gigantic chunk of the online industry and good positioning on Google for your website in the future.
So here’s what we think you should be doing:
- Spreading your content and expertise across the net. This should really be part of your Search Engine Marketing Strategy as you can utilise bookmarking submissions, Twitter, blogging and more.
- Network to find the right kind of people. This is where Twitter can help you find new contacts.
- Get people supporting your brand. It doesn’t matter if you’re a small business or a medium business – you will be surprised how much interest people will take.
- Creating your ‘voice’ and allowing people to see exactly how much knowledge you have in your field.
- Listen to what people are saying about your brand. Don’t ignore it and don’t assume because you don’t look that it’s not there. If you want to try this out, put your company name in to You Tube or on Google to see what comes up.
- Become the very best source of information for your clients and prospective clients.
- Ensure you co-ordinate your efforts with your Search Engine Marketing Strategy, PR and off line marketing to ensure consistency.
There are a number of other things you can be doing but in all cases do seek out professional advice before doing anything drastic!