In this series of blogs we will be looking at the various ways in which you can add content to your website to improve your online visibility.
Since Google has been going through a lot of changes recently I thought it would be sensible to consider how fresh and good quality content is so important to SEO.
So what is good quality content?
Good quality content for your website is something that is original, that people will want to actually read and that is NOT simply an excuse to put a load of waffle in because you think it fills the page.
So what is bad quality content?
Bad content is something we’ve probably all experienced. How many times have you done a search in Google only to find that the article you get up is littered with keywords, the content itself does not make sense or has no real purpose.
What is the benefit of good quality content?
By ensuring that you have good quality content on your website, you automatically help your website stay higher in the rankings of search engines.
Users online will link to websites if there is relevant content within it. In turn, when this happens your website begins to generate natural links, which is a major aim for Google – particularly in view of recent ‘Penguin’ updates it has made.
If you have a website built for example and don’t do any SEO or add any decent content your website will simply sit there and will not do anything.
The days have gone where you could add a website to the search engines and get a ranking easily. There is considerable competition onilne these days and more businesses are beginning to understand just how valuable good content actually is.
So in order to put yourself in a position to compete properly, you will need to make sure that you start thinking about content that will help you achieve higher placement in the search engines particularly Google.
However, you must start as you mean to go on. So when you begin to add content in different ways you must continue to do so. Even if it’s only once a week. Be regular!
I want to generate good quality content. Where do I start?
Blogs are right up there in terms of providing good quality content. Whether it’s once a week , fortnightly or at a push once a month, good quality blogs are excellent for gaining additional traffic to your website.
Blogs can cover any aspect of your business or the needs of your clients. To give you a general idea, you can look at this blog and see the range of content I provide.
I focus on SEO, being in London, my lilfe and of course all the things that are associated with running a business online but always try to ensure that what I am writing is of use to anyone visiting my website.
To help you, it is a good idea to come up with a content strategy. This can be as simple or as complicated as you like, but to give you some direction, see below what I consider great ways to generate blogging content for your website:
- Consider what the top five questions are from your clients about your services. This may extend to something simple like opening times but it could also cover the concerns that potential clients have in finding a service they require. For example; How does your cost compare to your competitors? I need reliability. Can you provide that? I need someone on hand at all times. Are you large enough to provide that to me?
If you consider these questions you can see that it would be relatively easy to generate a blog that answers those questions. Then when someone is looking for your service you are providing relevant content from the off.
- Keep your content lively and interesting. I could tell you about the countless times that businesses think a press release is going to cut it as relevant content. While a press release should be somewhere on your website, it is not really going to be great as a traffic driver. The reason for this is that press releases are meant to paint you in the best light. Therefore, reading an article about a company that is ‘brilliant’, offers ‘this and that’ is not always believable. Your reader will be thinking – “well that’s what you would say”. Instead, consider putting your press releases in a separate section of your website and make your blog more general.
- Consider guest blogs. There is a lot of weight in making friends online. Bloggers will often post content or link to content they like if you do the same. So it is always worth considering what value a guest blog may have for you and your website. If you sell products and a manufacturer offers a guest blog, think about what value you offer them but also what they offer you. They could have thousands of people on their mailing list and the guest blog could factor in an email for example. This means a lot of traffic to your website.
- Write regularly. Once a week is ideal (if not more) but do not post a blog less than once a month. It really has no value in the long-term. So once you start, keep it going.
- Take a look at other blogs and see what people are doing. This is really important as it will give you ideas.
Hopefully that will give you some good ideas to get started and remember to follow-up on this blog where I will be writing about other content generators that will be invaluable in your SEO on Google and the major search engines.